The Baby The Mama

My Favorite Ways to Remember the Little Things

September 29, 2015

DSC_6273When I compare mom-of-one baby Christie versus mom-of-two babies Christie, I almost start to laugh. I think of things I easily took for granted (ahem, grocery shopping!) when I had just Hadley, and I think of the things I used to take the time to do…with a lot more frequency. Something I truly loved (and still do love) was working on Hadley’s baby book. Each month, I’d reflect on little milestones, her sleep schedule, her eating habits, trips we went on, etc. and write them down, along with adding a new photo every month. I’ve especially loved the C.R. Gibson baby books; they’re beautiful, easy to fill out, and well-made.

Hadley's bountiful baby book...Sadie's is a different story (for now!) :)

Hadley’s bountiful baby book…Sadie’s is a different story (for now!) 🙂

I got a similar baby book for Sadie, with a total plan to be as organized with it as I was with Hadley. I was able to begin filling things out during the end of my pregnancy, but it has all gone downhill from there. My saving grace: Tinybeans! Not an ad- just a genuine fan, that little (free!) app on my phone has helped my memory bank to be full, even if her baby book pages are empty. When I have taken the time to sit down when Sadie is now 9 months old and reflect on milestones and memories I had with her in month one, I just turn on my phone, open up Tinybeans, and scroll to January to see what we were up to. All you do is upload a photo (or ten, like I sometimes do) for the day, caption them if you want, and voila!…it’s saved. A bonus: it emails a feed to family members every day if they’d like to subscribe to follow along with your little one. My in-laws (who are very nearby, but still sweet enough to enjoy daily doses of their grandbabies,) my Aunt Jan in Iowa, and my friend Becky in Arizona are all able to stay up to date with our little ladies, rather than oversaturing my Facebook or Instagram with pictures of my girls.

Something else I am trying to do: making a little journal for each of my girls. Nothing too intense or stressful, just something for the sake of silly little memories of things they do for me to write in their journals, or an occasional love note from their mama for them to look back on. For example: we have a little lizard in our backyard that always wanders around while Hadley eats breakfast. I asked her to name him, and she said, “Shoom!” Every time she sees him, she says (from inside our kitchen) “Hiiii Shoom!” I don’t know why, but I find it so hilarious. That is something that is totally journal-worthy…the little tidbit about Shoom. 🙂 I found the journals at Pottery Barn…they’re the brand Rifle Paper Co.; they’re timeless, pretty, anndddd they were on sale! (Fun fact: the night I bought those journals, I went into labor with Sadie!)

But hey, if all else fails with this memory-keeping, at least I have a blog to look back on, right!? 😉

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

• Reply Average Asian Mom September 29, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Nice, I still like the idea of old fashioned way scrap book! 🙂

• Reply henleyandhadley September 29, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Absolutely! It’s something they can actually hold onto and touch forever! 🙂

• Reply Kara Senn September 29, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I am the same way! But people in my family think I’m weird for keeping up with all of the little memories. My new favorite memory keepsake is the journal “My Quotable Kid” which allows me to remember all of the funny/sweet/ sentimental things my kids say as they grow up. I wish I had it starting when Alec was tiny… he said the funniest things! I wrote a few of them down, of course. Thank you for reminding me to write in the baby book this month!

• Reply henleyandhadley September 29, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I just love you! I need to check out that journal. Even the silly little memories…it’s like, why not remember them? They’re great. They’re happy! I support it! 🙂

• Reply Laura September 30, 2015 at 3:38 am

I have tremendous guilt about not keeping up with my son’s baby book…I had the best intentions in the world…searched and shopped for the ultimate baby book (layout, book, pages, graphics) …bought a special BOX of pens so I would use the same pen throughout the book …and then Lance was born…and we are breastfeeding (18 months now), he had bad gas and did not nap unless i was holding him , I am a stay at home mom with 2 senior aged dogs, then I make all of his baby food, then cutting teeth, then we have moved 2 times in 1 year…and well…I made copies of the baby book pages so I could be sloppy and fill in the information and then go back and write beautifully in the baby book…but for the last 9 months (since last move) I have not even dug out the copied pages to complete…I have a note book with what milestones and stories occurred each month…I lay in bed awake at night dreaming of the day I can sort through the plastic tote of keepsake mementos I have been jamming in the tote /time capsule and write in his baby book properly

we do the Easter Seals “ages and stages” print outs and developmental milestone checklist and so I know those dates from those pages

I truly want Lance to know how much I love him and I want him to know how thrilling it was to see his first steps and what it was like to nurse when he was cutting 8 teeth at once…I enjoy writing and I could have never guessed I would have a mess of a baby book because I am hyper organized too

I try to remind myself that breastfeeding, homemade baby food , good naps together, reading each day , and cloth diapers have trumped everything else…but I still deep down long for a proper baby book

any words of wisdom to alleviate mommy guilt would be appreciated …we move again October 9

• Reply nirupamaprv October 5, 2015 at 4:08 pm

How cute! I never did have the persistence for a journal in my pre-baby days, let alone now. I have an email id created for my little one where I keep shooting emails and photos. Planning to gift it to her when she is 18! But love this idea and will definitely look into this app. Seems like a fun and easy way to cherish memories.

• Reply henleyandhadley October 7, 2015 at 4:11 pm

You must look into it! It is so amazing, especially for being free! I’d never think such a high-quality app like that would be free! It’s great, easy memory-keeper 🙂